A wireless router forms an integral part of any internet network in the home, whether wired or wireless. Hence, you cannot afford to compromise on the quality you get as you are likely to end up with an unstable and slow connection.
You do not always need to spend a lot of cash to get that perfect wireless router, as there are many affordable models out there. These cheap wireless routers can still provide a wide enough coverage, stable connection, and some fantastic internet speeds if you choose a good model.
However, it would be best if you were extra careful when choosing a cheap wireless router, given the many knockoffs in the market. But, in this piece, we help ensure you always end up with something top quality by reviewing some top-rated models to give you recommendations.
- List of The Best Cheap Wireless Routers in 2021 on Amazon.com
- 1. TP-Link N300 TL-WR841N WiFi Router
- 2. Netgear R6700 Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router
- 3. TP-Link Archer A5 AC1200 WiFi Router
- 4. Netgear R6230 AC1200 WiFi Router
- 5. TP-Link Archer A6 AC1200 Gigabit WiFi Router
- 6. Tenda AC1200 Dual Band Router
- 7. ASUS RT-N12 WiFi Router
- 8. TP-Link AC1750 Archer A7 Smart WiFi Router
- 9. Tenda AC10U Gigabit WiFi Router
- 10. WAVLINK AC1200 WiFi Router
List of The Best Cheap Wireless Routers in 2021 on Amazon.com
1. TP-Link N300 TL-WR841N WiFi Router
With the capacity to deliver internet speeds of up to 300Mbs, this TP-Link router is the perfect choice for you when you want to take your internet speeds a notch higher. And you can be sure your wired connections will be super-fast as this router includes some super-fast Ethernet ports.
When it comes to the setup, the job will only be relatively faster but more hassle-free as there is nothing much you need to do, which means even first-time users can set up with no issues. And because it allows for both parental control and bandwidth monitoring, you have more control over the internet usage.
- Fast, hassle-free setup
- Robust and stable wireless connections
- Parental control for maximum security
- Allows for bandwidth control
- Fast Ethernet ports
- Smaller than expected
- Does not have a cord
2. Netgear R6700 Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router
With coverage of up to 1,500 square feet, the Netgear R6700 is the perfect tool for you if you want to cover a wider space with a stable WiFi connection. Better still, this model will accommodate up to 25 devices to allow for multiple users. And with the powerful gigabit ports, the wired connections are also fast and stable.
Also, you can connect this router with other devices like printers with ease as it includes a fast USB port. Overall, this is a more secure and safe router with several safety functions to keep your data safe when using the internet and prevent unwanted access. What’s more, the router has a powerful and reliable dual-core processor and three amplified antennas for an even more impressive performance.
- Covers up to 1,500 square feet
- Accommodates up to 25 devices
- 4 gigabit Ethernet ports included
- USB connection for accommodating more devices
- Safe and secure design
- Powerful dual-core processor
- Amplifier antennas
- Firmware needs an update
- Has issues with dropping connections
3. TP-Link Archer A5 AC1200 WiFi Router
TP-Link is an industry leader in the router manufacturer, and you will hardly ever go wrong with any of their products. For those looking for something that provides stability for both wired and wireless connection, this model is unbeatable because it has high-speed Ethernet ports and a high speed WiFi that supports up to 800Mbps.
Setting up this router takes little effort as there are only three easy steps to follow, and the manufacturer explains them clearly and in great detail. Other things like the fact that it supports guest and parental network and the easy network management also make this an even better router. What’s more, the router has advanced encryption to ensure maximum security.
- Fast Ethernet ports
- String and stable WiFi
- Quick setup in a few steps
- Supports guest network
- Allows for parental control
- Easy network management
- Advanced encryption for maximum security
- Some ports seem to have connectivity issues
- Not the best for super high-speed networks
4. Netgear R6230 AC1200 WiFi Router
With this Netgear router, you can get speeds of up to 1,200Mbs if you have a good network and a coverage of up to 1,200 square feet, meaning that just one is more than enough to support the internet needs of any home. And you can use this router with all operating systems with no issue, which makes it suitable for almost any device.
There are also some highly advanced security features and other things like smart parental control to ensure you have better control of your internet network. And you should not have any issues when connecting the router to other devices like printers, as besides the Ethernet ports, it has a fast USB port.
- Allows speeds of up to 1,200 Mbps
- Covers at least 1,200 square feet
- Supports most operating systems
- Powerful amplified antennas
- Advanced security features
- Smart parental control
- USB connection included
- Configuration software needs improvement
- Instructions are not very detailed
5. TP-Link Archer A6 AC1200 Gigabit WiFi Router
With dual-band technology, this TP-Link router supports high speeds of up to 1,200 Mbps to ensure you get a more reliable internet performance. What’s more, it includes 4 Gigabit ports to ensure that the wired connections are fast and stable enough. Many users love that it provides an easy network setup and management, even for beginners.
You can also be sure that your network will be more secure as this router supports parental control to ensure you can control everything from user profiles to access times. And you can be sure that your WiFi connection will cover broader areas as this model includes four powerful antennas for this.
- Dual-band technology supports high-speed internet
- Includes 4 Gigabit ports
- Easy network setup and management
- Allows high-speed connection for different devices
- Highly useful parental controls
- Compatibility issues
- Resets itself randomly
6. Tenda AC1200 Dual Band Router
The four powerful omnidirectional antennas on this Tenda wireless router ensure you get good WiFi coverage to areas up to 2,000 square feet. This and the fact that the router will support up to 1,200 Mbs makes this a highly reliable router. And besides speed and wide coverage, this router is designed to give you more secure connections.
There are also some fast Ethernet ports for those that prefer wired connections, and you can also link the router to other office devices like printers with ease. Another element that many users will appreciate is that this router works well with all internet providers to ensure it does not limit you to getting your internet from a specific company. Better yet, managing the router is more effortless, and you can do it from anywhere using the App.
- Powerful omnidirectional antennas
- Provides safe and secure internet
- Allows you to manage your internet from anywhere via App
- Fast and secure wired connections
- Works with all major internet providers
- Covers up to an impressive 2,000 square feet
- Poor setup instructions
- Fewer Ethernet ports
7. ASUS RT-N12 WiFi Router
Versatility is at the heart of the ASUS RT-N12 as you can use this device as a router, range extender, and even as an access point. Hence, it will help you save even more money because you do not need to buy the other devices separately. And unlike many other budget models, it allows you to manage your bandwidth more precisely to maintain good internet speeds when using multiple devices
Access control is also possible with this router, which means you hardly ever have to worry about security issues. And with the powerful and removable antennas, you get consistent performance and fairly wide coverage. What’s more, this router comes in a more compact design that takes up little space, and for those that prefer wired connections, some fast Ethernet ports are included.
- Versatile 3-in-1 functionality
- Efficient bandwidth management
- Powerful and wide coverage antennas
- Compact, space-saving design
- Includes powerful Ethernet ports
- Not very ideal for high-speed use
- Will not work well for multiple floor coverage
8. TP-Link AC1750 Archer A7 Smart WiFi Router
For those with wide spaces to cover, this TP-Link router is a fantastic choice as it will cover spaces up to 2,500 square feet. Also, it supports high speeds, and it is one of the few that can take Gigabit networks with no issue. Besides speed and wide coverage, this is also a smart device that you can even operate with Alexa for simple hands-free use.
Because this unit also has parental control, you can easily determine the access time and even control the sites that can be accessed by your kids when on the network. This dual-band unit also includes a USB port that makes connecting printers and other office devices very easy. The USB port also makes firmware updates quick and easy.
- Super wide coverage
- Smart control with Alexa
- Secure parental control
- Dual-band for high-speed connections
- Long-range WiFi connection
- Integrated USB port
- No way to test WiFi
- User interface needs improvement
9. Tenda AC10U Gigabit WiFi Router
Tenda AC10U allows you to stream content in 4K from multiple devices while maintaining stable and fast enough connections. Also, it provides a broader coverage of up to 2,000 square feet that should be more than enough for most users and homes. Besides WiFi, there are some fast and secure ports for wired connections.
Security is also guaranteed with this router as it has both WPA and WPA2 PSK and more advanced encryption to make it hard for anyone to hack into the network. Also, there are powerful, omnidirectional antennas with beamforming that make it easy to distribute the internet. And this model is compatible with all internet providers.
- Streams in 4K for multiple devices
- Covers up to 2,000 square feet
- Fast and more secure wired connections
- Mixed security and a high level of encryption
- Compatible with all internet providers
- Powerful omnidirectional antennas with beamforming
- More drops when using 5Ghz
- Needs better instructions
10. WAVLINK AC1200 WiFi Router
The superior wireless speeds are the highlight of this router as it can supports speeds up to 1.2 Gigabits. This router is also designed for wide coverage and includes a cool-running amplifier that is powerful enough to penetrate through walls to allow for uninterrupted connections in any condition.
Because this router is designed for versatility, it includes multiple operation modes to accommodate all users and suit different situations. Besides giving you internet, this router is also multifunctional as it also works well as a WiFi extender and booster. And with the powerful omnidirectional antennas and compact housing, it will be an even more impressive model.
- Superior wireless speeds
- Powerful amplifiers allow for wall penetration
- Omnidirectional antennas
- Multiple operation modes
- Also works well as a WiFi extender and booster
- Compact housing design
- Takes quite long to setup
- Instructions are lacking
With the best cheap wireless router, you get a reliable way of distributing the internet in your home or office without having to spend much. And now, you do not have to stress over finding the ideal product as our review above provides more than enough recommendations.
Although you will be okay regardless of the option you choose from our list above, the TP-Link N300 TL-WR841N WiFi Router is our top overall recommendation. The Netgear R6700 Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router comes a close second as it is also a top-notch router.